Saturday 1 November 2014

Which film should you go and see this weekend??

Review that has been enjoying a week off this week, which obviously means making a couple of trips to the cinema! We went to see Annabelle, The Babadook and Horns. Which one should you go and see?

If you want to be scared go and see Annabelle. It was pretty scary. The 2 of us were scared enough to be a little spooked out by our drive back from the cinema. Then when I got home I remained in a state of fear with my dad scaring me simply by talking to me! With any scary film I cannot possibly give away the plot but as far as horror films go it is ok. My main plus point would be that it is only an hour and a half, which avoids long winded plot lines and boring scenes. By keeping it short it keeps you on your toes and it comes to a conclusion before you get bored and restless. For a Halloween weekend it's a safe bet to not be disappointed.

If you want to be disappointed, go and see The Babadook! The premise is so good. A character from a children's book, that mysteriously appears in a house, comes to life. Great! Scary right?? That would be WRONG. It isn't the tiniest bit scary. Essentially all that happens is you spend the first half of the film thinking that the scary part will be coming up soon. And then the second half you accept that that is as scary as it gets and wish you were watching something else. One of the more disappointing films of this year so far I would say. If you like more Indie type films you will probably like it because that is what it seemed to be going for! You may like it!

If you want to hear Daniel Racliffe do a really bad American accent then Horns is the one for you! The film is inspired by a book so you can look up what happens but basically a guy's girlfriend is murdered and he turns into the devil. Far fetched?! yes. Potentially brilliant?! Yes. Does Horns do it justice?! Probably not. The first hour of the film is pretty ok. Funny in parts, gripping storyline, growing the Horns is really interesting and a good idea. As someone who has studied Religious imagery in films at Uni of course this appeals to me more than most! But everyone can find it pretty decent. You do get into it. By the end of the film, however, you will be ready to leave.

One of the things I really didn't enjoy about the film was the overemphasis on telling you what was happening. The main character would litterally tell you what was happening because you the viewer are not clever enough to work it out. Except you are and it just feels patronising (I genuinely felt patronised but the film)! Another failing is Radcliffe. Bless him. I am a huge Harry Potter fan and really do want to like him but he just wasn't very good. Really miscast part in  my opinion. He isn't dark or edgy enough, and you can't believe he is evil and tough. I had to stop myself laughing when he started beating someone up. It just didn't work, My last big issue with the film is that it just took itself way to seriously. At best it's going to be an entertaining film, it isn't going to be winning Oscars! But it was just so flipping serious and trying to be edgy. Dislike! 

Really what you should do is go and see Nightcrawler or Ouija and tell me what they're are like! They are 2 films I really want to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment