Tuesday 26 August 2014

Into the Storm

I love going to the Cinema. It's my favourite thing to do. I am willing to go and see most films and have been to see many films I have thought would be pretty terrible (sometimes they are).

My brother also likes going to the cinema. When I told him that I was going to go and see Into the Storm he told me he had no interest in going to see it and that the trailers had annoyed him. On New Years Day, we both compile our lists of the top ten films of the year and compare them. I always have a very different list to him. The reason is because we go to the cinema for different reasons.

My brother reads about films and goes to see things that interest him. If he loves the director he goes to see the film. He will go to see foreign films, silent films, independent films etc. He will go to cinemas further away to see particular films.

I like going to the Cinema to escape for a while. I like to be engrossed in a film; to get excited, to get sad, to get happy. I like to forget about life and taken away to a different world. If I don't check my phone during a film, it has achieved its purpose. 

My expectations for Into the Storm were low. I wasn't overly bothered by seeing it. But it's only an hour and a half, so how bad could it be?!

There were things I really didn't like about it. It was overly cheesy in places. Too much 'cheese' is unnecessary. We follow the story and the characters so we can understand their feelings without it being such a cheesefest. Also the acting isn't especially good. I've see worse, but I have also seen a lot better. In particular there is a father who goes to rescue his sons. He manages to be completely void of any emotion during the whole film. There is also an ending which is ridiculous. People that clearly would have died live and it's just a bit silly.

Having said all of this, Into the Storm achieved its purpose for me of escaping for an hour and a half. Its an exciting storyline. Being about storms gives it a realistic element where you think (excuse my language) 'shit, this could happen'. They don't drag anything out too much and the film moves at a quick pace. You get caught up in it enough for it to not be a terrible film.

Essentially this isn't a film you will go and see twice, but for an hour and a half of entertainment it's not all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment